Howdie folks! Just learned that Darryl visits Hamburg in June and that the BBC shows a Lafayette film production – “The Stones and Brian Jones”
For reasons of keeping it short, I’ll tell you about Brian and the BBC first, ok?
The BBC will broadcast a doku on Brian and the Stones on May 15, at 9PM UK time:
“Nick Broomfield’s new documentary uncovers the true story and legacy of Brian Jones, the founder and lost creative genius of The Rolling Stones“.
Of course! Well, we’ll see, what new insights we might get with this. Definitely a must-see. (Ok, I can’t wait for the YT release…)
The film will premiere on BBC Two and BBC iPlayer in May as part of a new series of films for the flagship Arts strand, Arena.
Here’s a trailer:
The Guardian: “Nick Broomfield’s new documentary recounts the life and death of one of rock’s most tragic characters. The film-maker and others who knew him talk about the roots of his recklessness in an emotionally arid childhood“
Also on this with more info: deadline.com telling about that Magnolia Pictures managed to aquire the US rights to this documentary whose director was filmmaker Nick Broomfield.
Ok, here’s what Darryl is up to this summer (among other things, I’m sure):
Obviously, this date can only happen if the Stones don’t tour: in Hamburg, Germany, in June this year. As local newspaper, the “Hamburger Abendblatt” writes, Darryl will join the Crossroads Festival of the “№1 Guitar Center” – he’ll show his basses which he designed and there’s a masterclass with him in preparation.
Google translates the press info as this:
No.1 Crossroads Guitar Festival on 10./11. June 2023 on the grounds of the Phoenixhof Altona!
The No.1 Guitar Center is hosting the No.1 Crossroads Guitar Festival again this year. After the successful festivals in 2016-2018 and the festivals on the Reeperbahn festival grounds from 2019 – 2021, we are now returning to our old location here at the Phoenixhof.
The festival consists of the following components:
- In-house exhibition – well-known exhibitors such as Fender, Gibson, Yamaha, Martin Guitars, Taylor Guitars, Lakewood, Ibanez, Nik Huber, Klotz, D’Addario, TV Jones, Trevor Wilkinson and others show their products and innovations (all instruments can of course be on site be tested, the manufacturers are available with advice and action)!
- Workshops and product demonstrations by the exhibiting manufacturers
- Concerts – Concerts by well-known artists as well as amateur bands and artists are presented in various locations on the Phoenixhof grounds.
The following artists have already confirmed:
- Darryl Jones (Bassist of the Rolling Stones): Darryl brings along his own basses, which he plays live with the Rolling Stones night after night, and a master class with Darryl is also being prepared.
- Prof. Peter Weihe (Germany’s #1 studio guitarist): Among other things, Peter will show his sensational upgrade for Les Paul guitars
- Nacho Banos (Mr. Blackguard from Spain): Nacho brings his instruments and there’S questions and answers to all questions about the Fender Telecaster
- Thomas Blug (The Strat King of Europe): The maker in front of the camera of our YouTube The World of Vintage Guitars series provides a behind-the-scenes look at the studio
- Marcus Deml (Errorhead/The Blue Poets): Tone, Time, Taste – Marcus gives us insight into his strategies for expressive playing
More artists in preparation
The festival takes place on Saturday, June 10 from 10:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. as well as concerts in the evening and on Sunday, June 11 from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. on the site between Stahltwiete, Ruhrstrasse and Schützenstrasse in Hamburg Altona.
Admission is free (except for individual workshops and master classes with a limited number of participants)!